Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Spectator

Today I watched. Nothing like hiding behind the bushes or anything. Kirkland's annual 12K's of Christmas run was today and I've been nursing a bit of a hip annoyance and as such I haven't logged much on the running trail the past two weeks. Sometimes the smarter decision is to not do something - as was the case today. No running for me. Don't shed any tears, notify the papers, or call the pansy brigade - it's a minor setback and with age (and advice from my friends) wisdom ruled.

It had been a while since the three of us packed in the car and made our way to an exciting but unforgiving road race. The anticipation always brings nerves to the surface and the chatter on the drive is littered with it - that's part of the fun. Who hurts where...why the race will probably be more than a run than a race...do I have a cold or is it simply time to blow my nose. It's crazier than it sounds but it's part of the ritual. I wouldn't trade it. Then there is the race itself. Once the gun sounds it's just you and the road. Hilly or flat, cold or hot, wet, windy - maybe everything mixed in together. It is what it will be. You know you will hurt. When is the only question. Mile one...three...the thing is that it will come. Your ability or lack there of to push it aside is the difference.

Sharon and Albert did their pre-race warm up and I took on my temporary role of caddy/butler, holding water and coats while they prepped. It can be lonely walking around while the gang is tuning up - I kept busy looking for the freebies that every race has - coffee, fruit, "special" water, and the like. As race time closed in Sharon and Albert came for their pre-race hug and handshake. That Albert, never tires of a good hug.

They took off and I figured I had 21-23 minutes to burn. Found a massage table and offered myself up to the young ladies and their interesting devices. I received a good 10 minute hammering of my hip and leg and felt better for it. Did I mention it was free? I grabbed a free water to celebrate and made my way to the finish. Before I knew it I saw Sharon coming down the stretch - flying. Albert was just seconds behind her. Smokin....over 600 runners and only a handful had finished.

Stats. Sharon finished 1st in her age division (79 runners). 5th in the woman's division. 17th overall - out of 628. Clocked 21:21. Albert finished 5th in his division (49 runners). 22nd overall. Clocked 21:43. These guys can run and they prove it every time they go out. We hit Starbucks for our post race "cool down" and recap. All too soon it was time to head out and begin the preparation for the next race. Don't have the Binky's ready just yet. I'll be there ready to run with my friends, regardless of how long they have to wait at the finish line for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment