Monday, July 5, 2010

Like a bottle rocket

That was the plan. Run like a bottle rocket. Illegal, fast, and somewhat out of control. Reality - not so much. I paid to run so the illegal angle was shot right off the bat. My 7:28 pace felt fast but I was a few seconds slower than last year and my age division kicked my butt. I was however out of control. I had to fight through this one. The first two miles were ok but mile three was an awkward pace - up and down, form good and bad. If I was in a zone it was the Twilight Zone. My mind wandered. Poor focus equals poor results. Finally I zeroed in on an old guy in front of me. Clearly in my age division. I closed in behind him and attempted to "draft". After a couple of minutes he turned his head and said "I can hear you back there" and he slid over to the side. I let out a soft whimpered "sorry" and slowed a bit. I knew my time wouldn't rock the world and decided that what was important now was to finished before this guy. I matched my pace with his and once we made the final turn toward the finish I lit my bottle rocket - lit my bottle rocket, that doesn't sound right does it? Anyway, it was lit and I took off. I hurt, my legs hurt, my lungs hurt. He finished behind me. I have a picture that I will post. Small victories...nothing wrong with that. If there was a first place medal for finding one's happy place, it would be mine.

Enough about me. Today some of the Tri team ran. Let me start by saying that some days are simply better than others. Other days surprise you. Today it was both. Today I saw heart and determination. Love and support. A couple months ago most of us were strangers. Today we're just strange. Not really....ok, maybe a little - but somehow it works for us and that's what matters. It was incredible to see everyone coming down the home stretch, running their hearts out, pushing their limits. As they came down the home stretch I was thinking about our first team run. It seemed so long ago and these now familiar faces weren't newbies anymore - they were runners. Hitting their stride, pumping their arms, driving to the finish. Each one cheering for the next runner coming in. Time meant zip. Support meant everything. You guys are unbelievable. Shawnte and Melanie - wowza! I think you've been holding back on us, great run today! I think the Tuesday and Saturday runs will be turned up a notch or two.

Strange. Unique. Tri-team. Let's see. Albert and I were in the men's room hoping to drop our running weight by a pound or two (with no success). I'm finishing my task at hand and I hear this very familiar feminine voice - Sharon. Once again she's in the men's room. Moves right to the front of the line asking the line if they mind. What would you say? She pops into a stall and the guy who had just stepped out of it looks at me and says "Tell her it wasn't me, it was the guy who was in there before me"....yup, that's our world.

Then we had the naked brothers. David and Albert. You would have thought they were at the Bare Buns Run, not the wholesome YMCA. They both kicked my ass today - Albert recorded at PR, nearly breaking the 20 minute mark. David just ran. He's a runner. I don't believe he thinks about it, just runs. Fast. Speaking of nearly naked, Sharon had a new running bra which we all had the opportunity to ah, review. I kept eye contact. Eye contact only. Look at her eyes Michael. I might have failed a few times. For the first time ever - first time ever - Sharon lied about her age. In her "new" age division she came in second. Had she put down her real age she would have walked away with a first place medal. Go figure.

Heather surprised me the most. Talk about grit. That girl doesn't give up. We have run together many times, often in the back of the pack. But each time she gets better. Each time she gives it everything. Today was no different and she looked great crossing the finish line. Her hubby Iain (rocket scientist) worked out formulas to determine where she would be at various points so he could take pictures. He was spot on. Wow. We looked like a cult in our yellow Tri shirts. I didn't wear mine because I have a shirt I like to run in. Received the stink eye for not wearing it but I like to think I was forgiven as the day progressed. After running his fastest 5K, Albert ran back to support others and ran them in to the finish. Heart. He's a good man.

Had lunch with Sharon's parents - had a blast. Her dad is battling health issues and I wish him the best - pulling for him. He's a tough guy who I respect and he'll come out of this strong. He quizzed me on World Cup history and for once I think I held my own. Funny guy. Smart guy. Her mom is always fun to hang around. She'll make you laugh and when you sit back and just listen to her you quickly see the depth of a person who has experienced so much, both good and bad, and enjoys every day.

I find myself to be lucky. Lucky to know the people I do. Lucky that they look past my faults and accept me for me. The not so perfect. I can only be who I am. Do what I do. Feel how I feel. I forgive and am forgiven. Nothing is too serious nor too silly. Life isn't easy but each day is replaced with another. Another opportunity. Make the most of yours. Be silly. Love. Run naked.

No comments:

Post a Comment