Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Vision, Journey, and the Triple Threat

Saturday's Triathlon marked the end of our journey. A journey that started with a vision, determination, and a passion for helping others. It started with what became the soul, the heart, and the personality of the program - Sharon. It ended 16 weeks later with strangers who became friends, individuals who not only became athletes but became triathletes, and heart, compassion, and support woven into each and every success and struggle.

Sharon was our maverick - as defined by Webster as "an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party". She was exactly what the doctor ordered. You've heard the phrase "thinking outside the box", well Sharon doesn't even know where the box is - and thank goodness for that! Her drive, enthusiasm, personality, and unfiltered view on life began to slowly break down barriers between a group of people, most who had never met before, and set the stage for us to become a team - each one looking out for the other, caring about one another.

The first week seems like yesterday. Albert and I helped coach the running portion of the program. There was a lot of walking - which was fine. Run...walk...jog...walk. I remember running at the track a few weeks later and seeing these same people run without stopping to walk or rest. I know it was hard for them - their breathing was rough and their form a little off. But the day was bigger than that. What I saw that day was the heart and guts that would define this team. They dug deep, hurt, but no one quit. It hit me so hard seeing them overcome that barrier that at that moment I decided to overcome one of my own. Water. Swimming. My success in the water came as a direct result of that day, those people, this program.

I began to change. Running wasn't just about going as fast I could any more. Slipping from one event to the next, one training plan after another. A sea of 400's, 800's, tempos, and long runs. It was about helping others. Realizing how great it felt to see the success of others. Watching them run a little further, shave a few seconds off their time, getting excited about a new pair of running shoes. At the same time I was learning from them. I believe I will be a stronger runner - stronger person because of them. How do you thank someone for that? I guess I'd start with Sharon and work my way through the entire team. There wasn't a single person who didn't have an impact on me. So to those who may read this, I thank you from the deepest part of my heart.

Flash forward 16 weeks to Saturday. 16 weeks of hard work, tears, sore bones and bodies. Workouts that sucked. Workouts that started so early no one has slept in on a weekend for four months. 16 weeks that shaped bodies, minds, and taught us that stretching and rest days were just as important as the workout itself. Some of us (me) still can't touch their toes but all of us can reach further than before. I think I'm limber but simply have been cursed with short arms.

Saturday morning we met at the Y where it all started. A chilly morning. Sleepy and nervous we almost didn't think about it being 5:00am. We approached Monroe and the site of the triathlon. There was a fog over the lake so thick you couldn't see more than 10-15 feet. Over time it dissipated though it did delay the start. Bikes were racked, transition areas set up, and the day old race tradition - having to use the bathroom a billion times begun. What is it about a race that causes your bladder to work overtime and your ah, other function to post an out of order sign on your butt? Think what you will but both end up impacting your race one way or the other. Many of the team simply peed in their wetsuit - you could always tell because of the peaceful calming look that came over them.

I was lucky to participate in this triathlon. While my swimming had greatly improved, the distance was too much for me at this point. The solution - a relay team. Steve had trained hard but ended up with a foot issue that prevented him from running. Kerrie having knocked off her first Tri the weekend prior wasn't ready to do another one. Triple Threat was born. Steve would swim, Kerrie on the bike, and I would run. Perfect. What was also cool about doing the relay was that I was able to watch most of the team swim and take off on their bike.

One by one out of the water they came. Smiling, tired, and focused on getting to the transition area. The mix of fatigue, numb fingers, and feet make for an interesting transition. Change clothes, put on socks and running shoes (try to tie shoes with numb fingers) and strap on the helmet. I didn't see to many transitions but I was able to witness Sharon. Somehow during her transition her timing chip shot off like a rubber band - no timing chip, no time. No time, you are DQ'd. I should mention she also had an infected thumb that had swelled to something from a horror movie. Maybe not that bad. Anyway, our unfiltered leader shot off some colorful words until it was located and then she was off. She did have the help of our cheerleader and her personal porter - Albert. Albert is well on track for the Portland marathon and cheered everyone on and today is running 20 miles....wow!

Steve came in from the swim and looked great. Handed off to Kerrie who grabbed her bike and tore out of there. It was a first for Steve and he did great! I loved the look on this face and hearing him talk about the swim. I look forward to doing a full Tri with him next year. Next thing I knew Kerrie was coming into the transition area and it was my turn. She was barreling in and yelled out a "MOVE!" to the person standing in her way. I loved it! We put the timing chip on my ankle and I was off. I'd struggled with a sore back and thought I'd go slow. But the BioFreeze I had applied numbed my back and half a mile down the road my trusty Garmin told me I was hitting a 7:35 pace. I felt good so kept it up. Finished my run in 22:36 (one of my fastest). We finished 7 of 12 relay teams. Not last but if we'd been last, so what. We had a blast. Thank you Triple Threat partners!

Three of the Tri team took home a medal! Sharon took 3rd in her division, 20th overall, and 5th of all women!! Wow! Paula took 2nd in her division, and David took 1st in his. It was so cool seeing each of them go up for their medal - we couldn't have clapped any harder. Through the celebration there was the reality that the end had arrived. 16 weeks in the blink of an eye. I have come to respect each of them and celebrate in their individual victories. 20 or so weeks ago Sharon approached me about helping with this then soon to be pilot program. I'm glad she asked - I'm glad I accepted. I received more than I gave. Have new friends I don't want to lose. Experiences I won't forget. Next on the docket is Sharon's next vision - Multisports. I'm sure she knows this by now but I'll say it again. I'm all in. Until that time I will continue to train and push myself hard. If Multisports delivers half of what the Tri program did, I will be a lucky man, a better man. This goes out to all of you and you know who you are - Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment