Sunday, June 19, 2011

One step closer

I competed in another Triathlon relay yesterday. The first time I did a relay I ran, ran because it has been what I do, what I am comfortable with. This time I did the bike and run - in fact I did it twice. All I need to do is master the swim and a full on Tri will be mine! Master the swim. Reality is it's more like master the mind and the swim will come. Working on that but the mind is not cooperating.

Knowing that I'd be biking in addition to running made me a little nervous. The fact that I would do it twice had my stomach gurgling. When Paula, my partner in crime suggested the Elite relay it sounded good. Truth be told I had consumed a couple beers by the time she asked me and possibly wasn't thinking through what it meant. Darn beer goggles. They can impair your judgement. Girls look skinnier...girls look prettier...you seem funnier...you wake in the morning and finally understand the last thing you heard from your best friend the night before - only it's too late and you just hope the name and number you gave was not your own....time for the escape pod...."Let me run out and get us some breakfast Barbara...I mean Betty...oh yeah, Beth...sorry."

The other reason I was nervous was the only other time I biked and ran was during a training session last year. After finishing the run my quads cramped up so bad my friends had to walk me in and rub them out. I recall swinging my arms around in pain and accidentally smacking Sharon on the side of the face as she was trying to help me. Sorry.  I had a little fear that I would cramp up again. Maybe more than a little...The upside to this race was that I had invested in a new bike, a bike that would hopefully level the playing field, allowing me to push myself and fly.

Paula is a great swimmer and an incredible person - I was lucky to be on her team - Team Knotty Bits. I knew that even if I sucked, she wouldn't care. The weather was crap. Cold and rainy - in fact at times during the ride the rain was coming down sideways. There I was, in shorts and a tank top. No gloves...no running pants. Boom, next thing I knew Paula was in the water and the event was in play. She finished the swim in just over seven minutes and was heading to transition. I was ready. Bike shoes on, helmet on, nervous gas rolling around in my stomach. She handed me the timing chip and I was off. Two laps and I'd be back to complete the running leg. My goal was to average 15 mph which I thought would be safe since I had to run (without cramping) and then repeat the entire process. I averaged 18.6 mph and feel pretty good about that. Came in for transition and could not get one of my biking shoes off. The release was stuck. Finally yanked the shoe off put on the runners and took forever to tie them. My hands were so cold I actually had to have someone unhook my helmet.

I was off. Couldn't feel my feet and felt like lead. I was moving forward however! My shoes kept feeling like they were falling off and I'd look down and everything was as it should be. My target was an 8:00 pace and I managed a 7:16 - I think they made a mistake because it didn't feel like I was moving at all. Finished and slid into transition and there was Paula ready to take the chip and jump back in the water for swim number two. She was off in seconds. While she was gone I managed to fix my shoe and prep for the next ride. Holy hell, she was back in eight minutes. She rocks!  I found myself back on the bike and out on the course. My legs had less juice and lap one was tough. I managed 17.7 mph for the bike but it was hard. More mental that anything else - I was worried about the run.

I came in with the bike and was a bit light headed. Paula knew something was up and took the bike from me. Some guy took my helmet off and I managed to get my shoes on. I got up to run, staggered a few steps and fell - my wrist does not like me today. My shoe became untied three times which meant I needed to take more time and do it right the first time. Quarter mile in my calves started to cramp. I kept moving and thank goodness they worked themselves out. I managed a slow 8:10 pace and glory be when I saw the finish I was happy. The Bertollisport team was cheering and that energy was all I needed to finish. I was a little shaky but once again, the team as they always do, helped me. Special folks always looking out for each other - love em!

Speaking of them, Bertollisport kicked major ass - which speaks volumes for the program, the leadership, and the dedication of the athletes. Forgive me if I miss any of the top finishers. Sharon took first in her age division (8th overall), Loni and Mike won the relay, Paula and I won the Elite relay, Sue, Sonia, Robin Jim, Doug, and Mike all finished top 5 or better in their age divisions!!  The rest of the gang? Oh my, they rocked it and we had many doing their first ever Tri! All that can be another blog in of itself! We had a support crew cheering and taking pictures. Did I say I love this group of crazies? I do.

Special thanks to Paula however for without even knowing it, set me up to prove something to myself, to overcome a hurdle. The race was not easy and there were mental hurdles I had to overcome. I did. I know I can improve my performance. I know I can push myself harder. My body has argued with me much of this year and unfortunately is better than I at debate. I am still recovering and look forward to being 100%. Cross training helped me today. My friends helped me today. Whether or not a Tri is in my future, today I became one step closer....

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Michael. I find running approaching 58 after not running since 1982 to be a challenge. The bike I find fun though I am not the fastest by any means. However, the swim, the swim; that is the REAL challenge for me! I must overcome that fear of drowning!

    Great writing by the way!

    Best Regards,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete