Saturday, October 6, 2012

Running: MIA

Seems I'm taking another sabbatical from running.  Not by choice of course, though that would at least make me feel better - to have some level of control (real or not) always makes me feel better.  No, this year little issues have cropped up and the best medicine has been to lay off the running and sometimes the weight lifting too.  I look back through my running log and see gaps that translate to reduced fitness levels and an extra pound or two.  I don't need the log to tell me I've added a few pounds.  Clothes and mirrors speak loudly.  Wear lots of clothes and for heaven's sake, avoid the mirror.  There's nothing worse than seeing yourself naked when you feel heavy.  Your first thought is whoa, that dude needs to work out or suck it in.  Sadly you're already sucking it in....

When you can't run suddenly everyone's a runner.  Everyone's running.  Old people... young people...they are everywhere and they all look fast.  Yesterday I was walking and a mom and her infant son ran by.  "Oh he was running by six months" she yells as she flies by trying to keep up with him.  I would have answered back but there was a curb coming up and I needed to conserve my strength. 

Another little secret is that when I don't run I have a tendency  to get a little cranky.  Oh it's hardly noticeable I'm sure but it's there.  It's not helped however by the out of shape over eating television watching non exerciser who sees me moving a little slower and a little guarded and remarks "Yeah, that's why I don't run".  My inside voice mutters something about a lazy snack munching slob but my outside voice say nothing.  I simply smile and slide the box of donuts a little closer to his outstretched sausage fingers.
I'm closing in on getting back to it and I can't wait.  To reconnect with friends, run off stress, and simply enjoy "being out there" will be great.  It won't be long until you begin to say to yourself "What the F, is the only thing that guy can post on facebook is how far he ran today?  Yes my friends, that will be a good day....

1 comment:

  1. Good one, Mikey, I'll be better able to resists donuts now just thinking about sausage fingers! Not a happy thought.

    ReplyDelete