Sunday, December 22, 2013

Virgin Marathon Part I

I'm going to run a marathon.  Ok, I said it, it's out there now. Now it's law. Stating my intentions publicly has a way of adding a higher degree of accountability to the statement, or in this case, the event.  When I first shared that I was committed to completing a marathon, the more popular question flying back to me was simply "Why?".  It's a bit of a difficult question (as most easy questions can be).  My first response is that I've ran and competed in many events since my first 5k in 2006. I remember that 5K like it was yesterday.  I walked often....I ran often....I hated that I couldn't complete the distance without some walking.  Fact is most people don't know that it wasn't until my fourth race that I finally ran the entire distance without stopping.  3.1 miles felt like running to the moon.

Since then I've competed in many distances; 2 mile, 5k, 8k, 10k, 15k, half marathon, triathlon relays, duathlon, and a 24 hour 187 mile relay with 5 others.  In all, 52 races since 2006. The marathon distance was noticeably missing.  Plug the hole I say.  The reason could also be when asked about my running, folks always ask if I've run a marathon - like running a marathon is the one thing that makes you a runner.  I reply no I haven't and hear an oooooohh with a look on their face of disappointment and sadness.  Poor Mikey hasn't run a marathon. Oh well, maybe someday he'll be a runner.  Thank you my pork rind,  donut eating, chip munching,  candy sucking, runs only when the dinner bell rings judge. You actually make me feel bad. You shouldn't but you do. I train hard for my events and I don't like being discounted for not doing something, especially something on the magnitude of a marathon. Only one tenth of one percent of the population will run a marathon while 26.2% of the population were obese in 2012. Interesting that that obese percentage matches the number of miles in a marathon. Geez I sound angry.  I'm not of course, though re-reading my blog so far, I am a tad judgmental.  A tad. Running a marathon might also be because I like to challenge myself and as a 54 year old closing in on 55, I figure I best tackle this before I get too much older!  I plan on writing about my journey over a few blogs, the final of course to recap the race itself.  It's a bit of a diary that I can look back on and remember the journey, the ups and downs, the celebrations and support, and unfortunately some possible moments when I felt like I couldn't do it.

After making the decision to run, I made the next best decision - I called Sharon.  She has trained me through most distances and while her training plans suck fish butt, if you follow them and I mean follow them, you will perform.  You will dislike her often and praise her infrequently.  She knows her stuff and tailors the program to the individual. Looking backs over various training periods, I've thrown up, clutched my chest, nearly passed out, and learned to keep my inhaler close. She has however always gotten me to the finish line. I'm counting on that once again.

I admit I'm nervous about this journey because it will take me to distances I've never even entertained, push my running to more days a week that I've done in forever, and should I fail I hate to think of how it will affect me.  I'm now running Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at 5:00am and my long run on Saturday.  The morning run required finding how to adjust my morning routine. Poop if you will. Knocking out  2 miles of your 4 mile run and getting "that feeling" is uncomfortable.  Do you try and run through it or jump off the treadmill and hurry back?  "Excuse me" you say to the person on the treadmill next to you, "would you watch my stuff, I have to ah...I ah...gotta poop". My goal is to avoid this...next time anyway.

I believe my body is getting used to the 4 day a week running plan and thus far the mileage has been within my experience range.  This week my weekday mileage jumps a little and Saturday become 14.  This is the point where I begin to move into uncharted territory. The point where I'll have to push myself to levels I once thought insane.  During many of these times I will think of you. So many of you have gone through personal trials that in comparison make the marathon seem easy.  You'll give me inspiration without knowing it. I thank you in advance for that and for reminding me to never give up.  I will be that one tenth of one percent and though I may run alone, I never will be...

1 comment:

  1. I'm setting the same goal. When will your marathon be?

    ReplyDelete