Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Inhaler 5K

Today was the day. The test. The day to answer the question of whether or not my exercise inhaler would help....or would it be a return trip to see my friendly doctor. I admit I was feeling nervous about the run. A good run and recovery meant good news. Anything else would be doggy doo.

Sharon was eager to come and pace me. I knew she'd push me and since she has recently completed lot's of CPR type trainings, I was eager for her to be there too. We walked a lap and then jogged one. Hitting the starting line, we began our 3.1 mile journey. Sharon claims that I was pissy - needed to have my water in a certain place, had to start at a certain point on the track, etc. Come on, you all know me...pissy? Ok, maybe a little but it was more about following a routine to help settle myself in.

The plan was to run at an 8:00 pace. The would be faster than my last run (8:29) and the doctor wanted me to push myself. My last two 5K's sucked at an 8:05 pace so I thought if I could manage an 8:00 it would be a good test. The first mile averaged 7:40 and I felt it. I also noticed Sharon was no longer next to me but 10 yards in front. This actually helped me as I could focus on her instead of the endless looping track. It also helped me concentrate because I couldn't find a rhythm in my run.

At the two mile mark I had to slip off the track for a quick pee and then I was back in. The last mile was tough but it was probably a mix of being out of shape (deconditioned as Sharon puts it) and well, being deconditioned. My trusty Garmin showed 3.1 miles completed and though tired, I wasn't doubled over fighting for air - wow, it felt good to NOT struggle for air. We walked a lap and headed for our post run tradition, a Starbucks 16oz, single shot, non-fat, low foam, 180 degree latte.

My post run cough has been minimal and I plugged my Garmin into the computer to see how I did. Turns out I averaged a 7:33 pace....Sweet....My heart rate was high but that is all about conditioning. My running buddies will help me back to that world and I know much of the work to do will suck, some will hurt, and I might even get a little pissy. But at the end of the day, it will be worth it when I cross the next finish line and see the clock smiling at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment