Monday, February 16, 2009

My Personal 5K

I can't count the number of doctor appointments and tests I've experienced over the past two weeks. For a guy who does his best to avoid the doctor, I'm beginning to get into the groove. I know my Group Health number by heart and am starting to recognize the voices of the receptionists. I keep a roll of twenties in my pocket for the co-pay...

Friday was the stress test. Must have been a slow day because I had a doctor, an assistant, and a student. After a quick weigh in I stripped off my shirt. The assistant took a long look (it seemed long to me) at my chest, looked at the student and said, we'll have to shave it. Granted it seems like I have more hair on my chest than on my head but really, shave it? She pulled out a dry bic razor and with Ninga like moves, carved out two nice square sections on my chest before I knew it was happening. They plastered round stickies all over me and hooked me up to about a dozen or so wires.

Stepped on the treadmill and smoked it. That's all I can say. We went through multiple stages and finally the doctor shut it down. It felt good to hear the student say that I must be a runner - as a runner you gotta like that! The verdict is that I have a healthy heart. A healthy heart and two squares as smooth as a baby's butt on my chest....

I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday to get the results of the pulmonary tests from the week before. Oh, the doctor at the hospital wants to CAT scan my chest to be sure my lungs are ok. A precaution she says. I was feeling better before I heard the words "CAT scan".

They've put me on an inhaler as right now it might be asthma. Two shots in the morning and two in the evening. I feel a little strange after each shot but if it helps, cool.

So today the sun was out and I thought I'd try a little jog around the track at the local high school. I had my cell phone in case I dropped on the track...After the first mile I decided to make it two and after two I thought I'd try to get out 3.1 or the same distance as a 5K. Mentally that would be good for me. I made it. It wasn't fast. I averaged a 8:29 pace but I felt better than I have in a long time. It was not without a cough/wheeze when I was done but it wasn't anything like what I had been experiencing. It was a good day. More to come as my appointments wrap up. Until then, Run...Don't jog.

No comments:

Post a Comment