Sunday, February 8, 2009

Valentine's Dash - Love 'em or Leave 'em

They left me... Before you feel too bad for me, I actually didn't run the race. I didn't even walk it. I did go to the race however and attempted a warm up and after less than a half mile I knew my day was done. I should backup and give a little background. I have been feeling a tightness in my chest and have not been able to take full breaths when running. No mom, this isn't the time to call me. I'm fine. I will be sure and wear clean underwear (just in case).

I did see the doctor last week and after listening to my chest she ordered an EKG and chest x-rays. The good news is that the x-rays appeared fine and my resting heart rate is 57. The other news is that she wants to be sure my heart is as big and healthy as you all know it is. I have a pulmonary appointment on Thursday and a stress test on the 17th. Doctors orders are simply this - no physical exertion until the results are in. Good thing I've added Benefiber to my diet recently. What a story that would be - 49 year old man found slumped over the toilet, pants at his knees, film at eleven.

Of course with my vast medical background I decided to warm up with Albert and Sharon. I think I made it a half mile before my lungs seemed to be running without the benefit of air. Yes mom, I stopped. See, I'm only stupid some of the time. At any rate, I will update my blog after the various appointments and you can decide if I need a small dose of pity or my ass kicked to get back out there running. Honestly I would love to feel your respective feet on my back end because it would mean good news.

Ok, back to the race. I admit it wasn't easy for me to see a couple thousand runners take off at the sound of the starting horn and not being in the pack. What was harder however was going to the registration tent and turning in my timing chip and telling them that I wasn't running - they charge you $30 if your chip isn't returned so I didn't have a choice (I'm cheap).

Sharon was running with a chest cold and Albert (big heart) ran with her for encouragement. I say this because he would have had a faster time and possible gave up a PR (personal record) to help her through the race. They both came in with an amazing time of 21:09 (6:50 pace). Sharon finished 7th of 229 in her division and Albert was 19 of 130 in his. Incredible results! Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Albert's brother Jerry ran the 5K as well. His warm up wasn't the typical mile and light stretching that most do. No, Jerry ran to Green Lake from Renton....over 17 miles. He had a few minutes to rest and then ran the 5K. I believe he finished before Sharon and Albert. He is crazy good and is training for the Boston marathon.

I look forward to the next 10 days and completing my tests and finding out what's going on. Stay tuned. I'm open to your positive thoughts and in the meantime, I'll keep tossing down the benefiber.

1 comment:

  1. Dude...maybe I will let you borrow my neck wrap tomorrow...and what if you are like the grinch?

    ReplyDelete