Thursday, November 25, 2010

Blanket of Peace

I ran in the snow today. I know, don't say it - I did take my inhaler before running and had it with me just in case. I set out for a nice slow 5 mile run that became a wonderful 9.5 miles. Since rolling my ankle I took some time off and this week I decided to get back to business. First let me say that I don't know how Sharon does it. How do you train yourself and then teach multiple classes the same day?  Sounds hard doesn't it? It is. Tuesday night I ran nearly 5 miles on the treadmill, slipped into Sharon's 60 minute cycle class, and wrapped up the day with a 30 minute core workout. I then hit the hot tub. She does this and more nearly every day. OMG...I was spent. I mean the only thing that would have got me moving would have been a fire in the women's locker room. Someone needs to ensure their safety...why not me? Stop, drop, and roll, yup, that's it. Ok, one more time. Sorry mom....

Wednesday. I tried deep water running. Albert, Jen, Robin, and I with Sharon on the deck instructing. Wow. I hope it looked as hard as it was! Running in water without your feet touching the ground is not easy. Jesus walked on water and I can't even run in it. Not making a comparison, just stating fact. Somehow the girls were well out in front drill after drill. Albert and I sadly were way behind struggling to get the hang of it. The upside is that we were a bit entertaining (a short stop at my happy place). Truth be told, I got an excellent workout and look forward to more laughter...er, I mean instruction and support. Both nights I slept well - a practice that had been elusive.

Back to the run. What else was I to do but keep it up?!?! The Y had an event which I have done in the past but after waking early, I fell back to sleep only to wake at 7:30. No time to fuel equals no workout - I've driven that car before and it wasn't pretty. I decided to run a slow pace in the snow, an out and back to keep the mileage down. Soon I was dressed, out the door, and running down the street. I ran through Mill Creek and it was simply beautiful. Early enough that traffic was far and few between. People - didn't see them. The sidewalk was covered with a couple inches of unblemished snow just waiting for me to glide through, disturbing it as little as possible.  I felt good. The air was so fresh and the snow hanging so gently on the leaves and branches was amazing.

Before I knew it I was running down Bothell-Everett Hwy. I had missed my turn and decided to keep going. The sidewalk path takes you mostly off the road and through some trees and bushes. I was listening to WoodRush, a local band with a nice folk sound. Their music blended perfectly with the environment. I felt at peace, running but not running. Moving but with so little effort. My head began to clear. It was nothing but snow, music, and me. Nice.  In front of me I now saw foot prints. Another runner. I could tell from the steps. Someone else I thought was out here with me. He or she however was nowhere in sight...and I was glad.

I turned up past Lowes and I must admit the run got ugly. The dirt from the road had splashed up on the sidewalk and the once beautiful unblemished snow now suddenly lost it's magic. It was now a slippery mess that I had to navigate through. I picked up the pace to get the heck out of there. I made it past Albertsons and as I was working up the rise, a wonderful man in a pickup decided it would be fun to slide over into the muck and splash it all over me. Stupid Mother F..oops. It's Thanksgiving. I'm sure he was simply texting and lost his way....maybe he swerved to avoid a cute little kitten - a life saved....or the pumpkin pie was slipping off the passenger seat and he needed to save it - grandma doesn't like spilt pie.  However, none of this explains the jerk behind him that did the same thing.

I made it to Safeway and was about a mile from home. The sidewalks became pretty again, the trees laced with snow, and walkers lifting a hand to wave as I ran by. Strangers saying hi. I tried a "Hi" back but it was apparent that my face was a tad frozen as was whatever had built an ice jam in and around my nose. Winter runs...gotta love em. Turns out I ran 9.5 and I'm glad I did. I feel refreshed. I won't close this blog with anything sappy except to say that there is much to be thankful for in this life and when you think it sucks for you, remember that there is always someone that has it worse. A smart person told me that and it stuck. I hope to see you on the road, be it running or honking as you drive by. Make today the best it can be, never cheat your fitness, Run...don't jog.

2 comments:

  1. I thought about running in the snow, but first I'd have to get up the icy hill out of my neighborhood, and I'd probably turn into a human toboggan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized your ability with words. I love you so much dad. It makes things a lot easier when I can sign on at night when I can't sleep and be able to read about your comings and goings. I know that you probably did not realize I read your blog, but surprise. I'm proud of you dad and I know things have been tough. I'm here for you whenever you need me

    ReplyDelete